Our Beers & Wines
Thwaites has a brewing history that spans more than 200 years, and produces beers exclusively for our pubs, inns and hotels, so every pint is something rather special.
Combining craftsmanship with years of experience. Always delicious. Enjoy a pint or two at the Golden Lion. Cheers!
When you relax with a drink at The Golden Lion, you’ll discover a well-stocked bar serving the finest Thwaites cask ales.
Daniel Thwaites uses only the finest dark kiln roasted malts, English barley and select fuggles and goldings hops to create this bittersweet dark mild with a deliciously dry finish.
Our award-winning team of five brewers – Brian, Harry, Glyn, Stuart and Mark – have over 125 years of expertise between them and each week they mash hops, barley and brewing liquor to create beers which we’re delighted still carry our forefather’s name.
Our seasonal ales give the team the opportunity to have some fun with flavour combinations, and our guests the chance to savour some beers which are truly unique to us.
Limited Edition - IPA 4.0%
Full flavoured light beer with a powerful citrus experience.
Blondie - Golden Ale 3.6%
A subtle citrus note, this blonde ale is smooth, easy drinking and deliciously creamy.
Flying The Flag - English Bitter 3.7%
A traditional English bitter with refreshing malt flavours and floral spicy notes. A balanced bitterness with a dry finish.
Cask Club – perfect for lovers of Thwaites awarding-winning ales! To become part of our cask club you need to pick up a card from the bar on your next visit – if you can’t find them in our inn, just ask and we’ll give one to you. Once you have you card, come back to our website and register your card on this page. Simple!
What’s INN it for me?
• A saving of 30p per pint – all day, every day – when you buy any of our Thwaites Cask ales.
• A welcome gift from us to you – a pint for the price of a half on registering – we’ll add the free half pint on to your account as you register so it’ll be waiting for you next time you visit.
• Plus a free pint of Thwaites cask ale each month – automatically credited to your Cask Club account on the 1st of each month.
You’re just 3 quick steps away from completing your registration:
1. Enter the membership number on the back of your Cask Club Card into the “Loyalty Number” box.
2. Complete all the required fields with your contact information
3. Just press submit and you’re all done.
The small print:
1. Free pints are valid for the month in which they are issued and cannot be carried over in to the next month.
2. All Cask Club promotions are valid for Thwaites and any guest Cask Ales only.
3. Your free half pint will be valid for 28 days from the date of issue
4. 30p saving per pint applies to the cardholder only – and up to 2 pints per purchase.
We’ve taken great care to make sure our wine list is a crowd pleaser with wide range of choice. Not just the usual crisp whites but some slightly more adventurous options too, sourced from smaller suppliers who pour their heart and soul into every bottle they produce.